Sunday, February 13, 2011

Case Study No. 6


Google Alerts is a great tool for those who use it because it’s the easiest filter for reading news that you care to read. It also exposes you to news that you wouldn’t necessarily find browsing the internet on your own. As journalists, this proves to be a useful tool with this week’s example. Former class student Gary Fineout got his hands on a great story that turned into a great read with his Jim Morrison pardon story.

As an aspiring sports journalist, I would use Google Alerts to point me towards not only news concerning the teams I cover, but blogs as well. Everyday bloggers have their respective points of view that could turn into newer angles and potential story ideas I could further report on. Because they’re bloggers, they don’t necessarily have the means to get into the press conferences or locker rooms to ask the questions they have. With those means, I believe it’s a journalist’s duty to have those questions answered because I’m sure there are others out there who have pondered the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment