Sunday, January 9, 2011

Who am i?

I am Safid Deen and I am a journalism major in my last year at UF. I can be reached at safid828@gmail.com.

·         I am originally from Flushing, NY, but now residing in Pembroke Pines, FL.
·         I came to the University of Florida because of the school’s reputation. Being a few hours away from home made the decision easier, too.
·         I’m taking this course because I have an interest in editing and design. I feel that being just a writer is not good enough in the journalism field and it’s to my advantage to diversify myself.
·         I’m a big sports fan so anything involving playing, watching and reading about sports interest me, particularly basketball. I am also a sneakerhead, which entails my collecting of Air Jordan sneakers.
·         Something interesting about me – My mother gave birth to me on her birthday. I’m still not sure if this was her favorite or least favorite birthday.
·         I am the first male in my family to attend a university.
·         I would rate my knowledge of grammar, punctuation and AP Style at a 7.5.
·         As for InDesign and Photoshop, I’m definitely below a 5. Using those programs every day makes them easier to use, which is something I should plan on doing more.
·         One online skill I think I’m highly proficient at is social networking. Knowing how to use platforms like Facebook and Twitter also involves evoking responses from others like comments and retweets, which I see often because I’m that cool of a guy.
·         I get most of the news I care about via Twitter. I follow a lot of sports columnists who break news like Kit Kat bars. Gimme a break, gimme a break… get it? That was a bad joke.
·         I recently re-read Rick Bragg’s Somebody Told Me. He has a way with words that I could only dream of reproducing. I’m also waiting patiently for my shipment of Decoded by Jay-Z. He’s my favorite artist and I’ve heard a lot of great things about the book so far.
·         As for career goals, I’m really not sure but I have general ideas of where I might want to be. My ultimate dream job would be either covering basketball for ESPN if I stick with journalism or being a brand manager for Nike if I pursue a master’s in business administration.
·         I read most of my content online so I’m always visiting ESPN and Yahoo! Sports. Kix In The City is an online sneaker magazine that I also like to keep up on, and I browse over to the New York Times here and there. Glad I now have them all in one place with Google Reader!
·         My favorite Web site is nikeid.com because it allows you to customize any Nike sneaker in any variation of colors or materials. Might sound boring to some but it’s a lot of fun to see what shoes can look like when you experiment with different color combinations.
·         I do blog when I can, via a Wordpress blog at safiddeen.wordpress.com. My take on sports. Enough said.
·         I’m currently working as a sports copy editor for The Independent Florida Alligator. As for other media-related internships and jobs, I’m still hunting.
·         I do have an updated resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment